Sunday, November 16, 2008

Reflection 2: Podcasting my way to mastery of English

I have always liked videos about animals and nature; and I have watched NatGeo channel many times. I would use these videos to improve my listening and speaking comprehension. They are a great tool to learn about topics that are really interesting for me. I will be motivated to watch them because I am a visual learner. Watching interesting images about different cultures and people; about nature; recycling; animals; global warming; history; environment will make me think and research about what is happening around the world. I will be able to compare Chile with other parts of the world, other cultures and believes.

I will also use them with my future students to practice listening and in a fun way by watching videos. They could practice writing; they could work in groups or in pairs and promote social interaction. By working in groups they can practice speaking; they can acquire new language; give personal opinions.

NatGeo is an easy tool to look for videos. I just go online to the website and search on the many topics they have. http://www.nationalgeographic.com/

On the same website there is an Education link where I can find educational videos and sites. This link will be useful for my future classes. http://www.nationalgeographic.com/education/

There is also a website for kids that I would use to teach elementary students. http://kids.nationalgeographic.com/

I would use this website and watch NatGeo videos every weekend. I just have to go online, choose a topic, and it will only take me about five to ten minutes to watch the video I selected. These videos are a great tool for me to improve my second language. They do not take too much time to watch, and I really enjoy watching them. They also give me a future look to my teaching of English as a foreign language.


1 comment:

Gina Petrie/CALE/ESLG said...

Pilar,
One thing that I can see clearly is that you will find innovative ways to bring video into your classes. Your instincts are good both for what motivates you and what will be interesting to your students (and relevant to their curriculum). Nicely done.
Gina