Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Reflection 4: A topic in language education that I want to know more about


I would like to know more about Project GLAD.
After one week observing an ESL class; the different students; different cultures; different backgrounds; level of English; and different ages; I really think it is best to plan a class taking into account these differences. To include the students' culture and first language to a class can be very meaningful for them. Ask them where they come from or what they do in their country can be really motivating for them.
I also think that no matter where your students come from, you need to have high expectations. You need to believe that they can keep studying; that they can go to college and have a career; that they can do much more than just having a job at an hotel and cleaning or washing dishes. Include writing and reading as the most important topics of learning not only speaking and listening; and for a real purpose.

I am really interested in this project because I have seeing that some teachers do not take into account these differences and just teach a regular class, and the expectations that they have about their students are really low. That is why I want to know more about strategies for English language learners; cross-cultural environment; how to integrate the four skills; how to work together with other teachers, having a healthy relationship, and how to keep the students motivated and interested in learning English.

Link:

http://www.projectglad.com/


GLAD Video:



In Project GLAD website I was able to find the answers to my questions. It is in detail what GLAD is about; the strategies that I would need to use with English learners; the steps I would need to know to be trained as a GLAD teacher; and I also found some quotes about students that find GLAD a great project to learn a second language.

1 comment:

Gina Petrie/CALE/ESLG said...

Pilar,
I'm glad that you and several others were impacted by GLAD. Maybe we can learn more about it in Portland as well...
Gina